By: Rebecca Sullivan
Not all types of lavender are edible so check that the variety you use is OK to eat
- 1.5 kg plums any sort
- 200ml orange juice
- 200ml water
- Finely grated zest of one orange
- 1tablespoon lavender petals
- 2tsp cinnamon powder
- 1.25kg sugar
- Place a saucer in the fridge. Wash and halve the plums discarding all the stones except about ten. Place in a heavy-based preserving pan the plums, stones and all other ingredients except sugar.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the plums begin to fall apart, about 20 minutes. Lower the heat, add the sugar and stir until it dissolves. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and cook over medium heat until it sets, normally about 20 more minutes. Test by placing a teaspoon of jam on the cold saucer, leave for a minute and push your finger through the middle. If the surface is crinkled it’s set.
- Place into hot, sterilised jars, seal and store in a cool dark place.
Makes about 5 cups