By: Ben O'Donoghue
Simple but delicious this dish is a family favourite and our recipe will help you perfect it
- 500gm macaroni pasta
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 500g monterey jack cheese
- 500ml cream
- 500ml milk
- 160gm butter
- 100gm flour
- 500ml beer
- Chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 spring onion finely sliced
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the flour and mix together, slowly mix in the cream and milk, stirring continuously until to form a smooth white sauce.
- Cook on low heat for 5 minutes then add the cheese and stir to melt. Then add the beer and chilli flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the macaroni in salted water and then drain. Toss in the diced tomato.
- Combine the seasoned cheese sauce with the pasta and tomatoes and then transfer to a baking dish.
- Melt the 2 tbsp of butter and mix into the bread crumbs mix with the slice spring onions and scatter over the top of the macaroni.
- Bake at 180 degrees until golden.