- 1 1/2 cups of basmati rice or long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 3 cups of hot chicken stock
- 1 tsp cooking salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- Start off with excellent homemade chicken stock. Commercially bought stock will be okay if you don’t have the homemade variety.
- Wash your rice thoroughly.
- Using a pan with a lid, heat the oil then add the rice. Toast gently. Add the salt and butter, and continue to stir.
- Add the chicken stock. Be careful as the hot stock will bubble profusely. Put the lid on and simmer until you see little pockets of holes on the surface of the rice.
- Turn off the stove. Lift the lid, place a clean tea towel on top of the rice, then fit the lid on.
- Leave for about 10–15 minutes.
- Take the lid and tea towel away. Using a fork, fluff up your rice and serve.