- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups red onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bunches kale, ribs removed, torn into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 225g Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large Anolon skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, sugar, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 18-20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 215°C/425°F.
- Wipe out the skillet and melt 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter over medium heat. Add half of the kale and cook, tossing, until slightly wilted, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer kale to the bowl with the onions; repeat with the remaining butter and kale.
- Add half of the Gruyere cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the kale mixture and toss well. Transfer to a baking tray. Pour the cream over the kale then sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake in the centre of the oven until the cream has thickened and the cheese is golden brown, about 53-55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.