For the sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Lemon zest, from 2 lemons
- Lime zest, from 2 limes
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1.8kg boneless pork shoulder, trimmed, tied
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups fresh coriander leaves
- 3 cups fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- For the Cuban Braised Pork: Combine 1/4 cup of the oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, lime juice, lime zest, garlic, oregano and cumin in a large zip top plastic bag. Add the pork shoulder, turn to coat and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
- Remove the pork from the marinade and lightly wipe off excess marinade.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a Covered Casserole over medium heat until very hot. Season the pork with the salt and add it to the pan; cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the onion and jalapeño pepper to the pan and cook 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, bring to a simmer, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer gently, turning the roast over once or twice, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 70°C/160°F about 1 hour 45 minutes to 1 hour 55 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the pork rest 15-20 minutes. Serve with the Cilantro-Parsley Blender Sauce below.
- For the Coriander-Parsley Sauce: For the sauce, combine the coriander, parsley, lime juice, oil and salt in a blender; puree. May be made up to 3 days ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator.